02 June 2009

A New Frontier.

I just want to do a quick post about this now and hopefully I'll get around to doing a longer post about it later.  Exciting news...someone is actually giving me some acting work to do. Not paid sadly, but at least I get to do what I love and in a format I've never tried before. 

I'm going to be doing a short film that's only about 10 minutes long.  A group of local film makers got their scripts picked to put on film. I went to the audition to try out for one of those films and while I was there I tried out for another one that I fit the description of and that's the one I got picked for.

I was happy just to do the audition because I've only ever auditioned for theatre stuff and this was my first one for something on film. It was actually a lot more fun than a lot of the theatre auditions I've done. It was a very relaxed atmosphere where I got to meet the directors of the two pieces, the guy doing the filming and the guy leading the audition. Overall, it appears that a lot more people are involved in this process than with theatre auditions.

I was given a few minutes to look over the "sides" (just short selections from the scripts), then I had to sign a sheet that stated I understood I wouldn't be getting compensation for this project but I would get a copy of the film on DVD.  Which I can only assume is because then I can use it for when I want to show some work I've done (yippee! hello grad school applications...)

All I had to do for the actual audition was look into the camera when they said go, state my name and my phone number where I could be reached and then read through the lines. I had a guy off to the side that read the roles opposite me as well, which was useful. It was fun doing this audition because for the first piece I did, the director gave me some suggestions for how he wanted it done differently a second time around, and I'm pretty comfortable with this kind of comment/change/redo style of auditioning because it's what I always do with theatre. You just do it over and over again, sometimes with different people, so the director/s can see if you'd fit in the role. But for the first piece I only had to do it twice and then the second piece I only did it once and I was done.  Amazingly quick...I guess they can be that way when they've just filmed it and can then re-watch it as much as they want.  

I really enjoyed the whole audition, wasn't sure how well I did because...well...I've never done film before, but was really happy when I got cast in the second piece.  It should be fun and quite a learning experience.  I'll blog more about it as we get into rehearsals (only 2 or 3 before actual filming commences). I'm quite glad I'm not getting paid for it though, as I've never done something like this I don't want to completely mess it up, so it relieves the pressure a bit when a paycheck isn't involved.

2 comments:

  1. Well done on getting the job.

    Paycheck or no paycheck, you won't mess it up - have some confidence! And actually, I've found, when there's no money, the pressure is bigger-- because you realise the filmmaker has put something together with their heart and soul; any pennies they have, have poured into the production. This is a project that is going to lead them far. If people mess it up, dreams get lost and souls get destroyed. So it's just as big a job for you and everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do agree with you about the director putting heart and soul into their film. And even though there's no paycheck involved, as an actress, I feel like it's my job to do the film to the best of my ability. I do still feel quite honored to be picked. Especially when I've had no experience on film. I think this will be a better experience than if I had done something bigger, because the film maker truly cares about the entirety of the project. And really, that's all anyone can ask for.

    ReplyDelete